LFS 2.4.4 - Bad links

edwarddes edwarddes at mac.com
Sun Jan 28 07:13:13 PST 2001

>On Sunday 28 January 2001 09:10, Sanjuro Europa wrote:
>> In Chapter 3 (Packages you need to download) their are 2 bad links to the
>> patch files for Sysklogd and Sysklogd.
>>
>> They should link to the .patch.bz2 files instead of .patch
>>
>> Or put the patch files uncompressed on the FTP.
>
>Chapter 2, section "How to install the software" tells you what to do when
>you have a file that ends in .tar.gz or in .tar.bz2. Maybe that's why so
>many
>people don't understand that you have to bunzip or gunzip the patch, since
>it
>is not tarred.
>
>To Sanjuro:
>The links are not bad, they assume that you have unzipped the patch, using
>this command:
>for bz2 files: bunzip2 <file>
>for gz files: gunzip <file>

umm... no, then that is not thee problem, the link is to a .patch file
for you to download, before you would ever have a chance to decompress
it, but the file is actually i .patch.bz2 file, its a simple error in the
book, dont always assume that its someones incompetence that makes it not
work. maybe you should check the error yourself next time instead of
anserwing RTFM!

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org