LFS Environment Variables / Linux Standardisation

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Sun Jan 28 13:32:12 PST 2001

At 08:15 PM 1/28/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I am trying to find out if there is a "standard" way . . .*snip* . . .
>trying to
>uncover where $TERM is set in the Red Hat distibution . . .

"standard" = Red Hat ?
One of the major reasons I like LFS so much is that in the short time I
have been using it I have learned more about my Linux system than I ever
did using RedHat. The problem I kept running into with RH was that in
reading this or that HOWTO the files were never where they were suppose to
be. Trying to tweak configurations was a nightmare compariable to Windoze.
While I learned to do a lot of things with Windows including hacking the
registry I still kept running into this huge wall that was keeping me from
really getting into the guts of the system. I ran into the same wall trying
to learn Linux with a RedHat system. By pushing LFS I am now dancing on the
cutting edge with the 2.4 kernel, glibc-2.2.1, and the latest versions of
many packages but I am NOT bleeding.

>Is there a document anywhere that details this standardisation

This http://paradigm.uor.edu/linux/standard/ was the first item returned
from a keyword search "Linux standarization project" on google.com/linux

The truth is that at this time there is no standard. The refrain "We don't
need no stinkin' standards" can be heard in LUG meetings around the World.
Personally, I think it is much too early to start the process of
standardization.

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org