LFS 2.4.4 - Bad links

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 28 14:43:17 PST 2001

> On Sunday 28 January 2001 09:10, Sanjuro Europa wrote:
> > In Chapter 3 (Packages you need to download) their are 2 bad links to the
> > patch files for Sysklogd and Sysklogd.
> >
> > They should link to the .patch.bz2 files instead of .patch
> >
> > Or put the patch files uncompressed on the FTP.
>
> Chapter 2, section "How to install the software" tells you what to do when
> you have a file that ends in .tar.gz or in .tar.bz2. Maybe that's why so many
> people don't understand that you have to bunzip or gunzip the patch, since it
> is not tarred.
>
> To Sanjuro:
> The links are not bad, they assume that you have unzipped the patch, using
> this command:
> for bz2 files: bunzip2 <file>
> for gz files: gunzip <file>
>
> To Gerard:
> Maybe people need to know that patches or files that are not tarred also need
> to be unzipped. Then we could quote and say "RTFM". ;)

No, you understood him wrong. The link in chapter 3 of the lfs-2.4.4
book pointed at
ftp://packages.linuxfromscratch.org/pub/common-packages/sysklogd-1.4.patch

if you were to click on the link, you'd get "no such file" because on
the server that file is called sysklogd-1.4.patch.bz2

I've corrected that.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org