Comments on LFS 2.4.4

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 29 15:39:47 PST 2001

> In chapter 5, when creating passwd and group files:
>
> The group "audio" _does_ exist in MAKEDEV, but not in the group file. This
> is probably because the audio group isn't used when creating generic
> devices, but it is still in MAKEDEV. I would suggest the following passwd
> and group files (that include common groups and users that are standard on
> linux systems, such as "nobody"):

Others have said my reasoning: if you need it, add it yourself. LFS is
supposed to be basic and not add (too many) unessary things. audio is one of
those things that is just a user preference. What if you dont have a
souncard, you don't want to create those files so it won't make sense for the
book to assume you having a sound card.

> I quote: "Another, easier, option!s! is just not to compile programs with
> debugging symbols." But how? I read this part over and over again, but it's
> not stated anywhere. After doing some research, I think "export
> LDFLAGS=-Wl,-S" is the answer.

and that will override any LDFLAGS a configure script may set for a package.
Which you don't want to do. And I do agree with Simon that the book is clear.
It says:

Most programs and libraries by default are compiled with debugging symbols
and optimizing level 2 (gcc options -g and -O2)

Logic and grammar dictates that this construction means that debugging
symbols refer to -g and optim. level to -O2. I could change it to:

Most programs and libraries by default are compiled with debugging symbols
and optimizing level 2 (gcc options -g and -O2 respectively)

> In LFS 3.0, glibc 2.2.x is used. Since it doesn't ship with Berkeley DB
> anymore, the "db" directives should be removed from /etc/nsswitch.conf.
> After selecting the timezone, a TZ value is returned. Don't waste it! put
> it in /etc/profile (TZ=Europe/Amsterdam; export TZ). In syslog.conf: Every

or use the localtime symlink like the book does. Either way works. If you
want to use the TZ variable go ahead. I personally think the localtime
symlink is safer. A variable can be unset by accident, a symlink isn't easily
'unset' (unless you're root of course).

> distro I have ever used, had a /var/log/messages with the most important
> system messages. I think LFS needs one too. Add the following line to
> /etc/syslog.conf to do this:

LFS uses the sys.log file for it, it contains nearly the same info.

> The 3-number symlink setup looks cool, and has good arguments to support
> it, but since the standard on SYSV init style is to have only 2 numbers, I
> think this convention should be followed. The more because LFS once decided
> to follow this complicated way of booting, it should as unbloated as
> possible.

LFS may be modelled after RedHat and Debian but it doesn't mean I follow
RedHat/Debian's scripts to the letter. I don't even like the name
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts nor having the hostname in the
/etc/sysconfig/network file. That's going to be changed in future releases.
Why then use the names? Simply becuase I couldn't come up with anything
better at the time.

> I quote: "Edit the Makefile and edit the CFLAGS variable to use compiler
> optimizations." The compiler optimizations section was dropped in LFS
> 2.4.4, so this is a leftover of 2.4.3.

Right will be removed.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org