network config files (Re: Comments on LFS 2.4.4)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 30 12:05:57 PST 2001

On January 30, 2001 02:44 pm, you wrote:
> I've heavily modified most of the init scripts coming with LFS on
> my box as well, mainly because I've got this very own idea of
> what init scripts should look like.
>
> I've put my network configuration into /etc/net.conf, and I don't
> have a /etc/sysconfig directory - I cannot see why I should have
> a directory for very few files I can just as well put in a single
> networking config file, and the rest directly within the
> corresponding scripts. For example the clock settings -- I'll
> never have to change these, so why not put it into the clock
> script.

A few systems I maintain have a lot of ip's assingned (eth0 through eth0:255
basically). To manage that properly every interface (eth0, eth0:1, eth0:2,
etc) have the config (ip address, netmask, broadcast) in a seperate file as
the book suggests now (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0,
ifcfg-eth0:1, and so on).

So what also plays a role is how your system is used, if you need the
seperation or if you can live with, like you did, putting the clock info in
the setclock script itself.

I will be changing the names a bit to make more sense (heck currently
network-scripts doesn't even contain scrips, just network config files that
would fit better in /etc/network/) or somewhere more sane. We'll deal with it
later, first thing's first: getting lfs-3.0 ready

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org