installing lfs onto primary ide with no other os's

Seth W. Klein sklein at mint.net
Tue Jan 30 12:32:24 PST 2001

asunnymoo wrote:

> I installed LFS on another disk with nothing else on it.  The distribution that
> I created it from does not reside on the same disk.  I want to take the LFS
> drive out and put it in another machine.  I would like to boot the machine from
> the LFS disk.  I don't want to boot LFS from the same machine that I created it
> on(dual boot).  In the mini LILO howto, it explains a way of taking out the
> disk you built a distribution on and placing it in another machine.  I was
> wondering if anyone knew a more elegant way of doing this.

You could dd(1) a copy of the kernel to a floppy, set the root device
with rdev(1), and use that to boot the first time in the new machine.
This is documented in the Bootdisk HOWTO at:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html
Specifically:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/x696.html#TRANSFERRINGWITHOUTLILO

cheers,