Problem compiling gettext using CVS built book

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 31 14:01:41 PST 2001

> checking for msgfmt... no

for starters msgfmt isn't detected...could be caused by your write problem,
but do check if, in chroot, /usr/bin/msgfmt is present, if it's static (ldd
$LFS/usr/bin/msgfmt) and if $PATH contains /usr/bin

> When I am unable to write to the disk, there is not much I can do. Any
> suggestion?

Step one: does /tmp exist in chroot? Does the directory have mode 1777 ? (if
not, you can't write to it, it has to be world writable. At this point user
'root' doesn't exist yet (that's where 'i have no name' comes from. This'll
be fixed after Glibc has been installed)).

It may try to write to /usr/tmp instead so check the modes on that directory
as well.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org