term=linux

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 31 15:20:57 PST 2001

On January 31, 2001 06:06 pm, you wrote:
> > > i remember in lfs-2.4.3 we set "TERM=linux" in .bash_profile.
> > > this is now gone in 2.4.4. is there a special reason for it?
> >
> > What if you are in an xterm?
> > Setting TERM=linux doesn't do
>
> hmmm. if xterm means standard-kde-terminal under XFree: i was using it
> the whole time. and everything worked out fine until chrooting. after
> i found out TERM was set to dumb i set it to "linux" - which solved ALL
> my problems. or did i understand something wrong here?
>
> > chroot $LFS /usr/bin/env -i HOME=/root TERM=whatever /bin/bash --login

setting TERM to linux when you're in an xterm/kconsole/something under X can
cause nice suprises. Vim is one example. The arrow keys won't work properly
until you set TERM to something different (the up-arrow gives me a capital A
for example). Other than that it'll work fine, just some programs won't
function properly (most notable ncurses based programs).

But this is probably all different depending on your system's setup and all,
but I believe the proper thing to do is not just assume TERM=linux.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org