First Timer: Some problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 1 08:29:37 PDT 2001

> COMMENTS:
> Failed as I do not have curses installed. After changing configure line from:
> ./configure --enable-static-link --prefix=$LFS/usr --bindir=$LFS/bin --with-curses
> ./configure --enable-static-link --prefix=$LFS/usr --bindir=$LFS/bin --with-ncurses

Which book version are you using by the way? Bash-2.05 is supposed to
fix that problem. And --with-ncurses is not a valid bash configure
option (check the configure script, --with-ncurses isn't present) so you
may as well not pass that option and have the same effect. So why do we
pass it? Just in case you have termcap installed. Ncurses is better than
termcap and should be used wheneve possible.

Your --with-ncurses option just told bash not to use curses and it
probably linked against the termcap library.

> COMMENTS:
> Are you sure the --prefix is /usr and not $LFS/usr ?

If you compile gcc with a prefix set to $LFS/usr, then gcc will try to
find it's files in $LFS/usr/lib/gcc-lib/ instead of /usr/lib/gcc-lib

When you chroot in chapter 6, $LFS doens't exist, and gcc won't work
unless you were to create the $LFS symlink in LFS pointing to /

> [root at falcon tar-1.13]# patch -i ../lfs_src/gnutarpatch.txt
> can't find file to patch at input line 3
> Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
> The text leading up to this was:
> --------------------------
> |*** tar.c.orig Mon Jul 12 16:58:10 1999
> |--- tar.c      Mon Jul 12 17:02:27 1999
> --------------------------
> File to patch:

Read the book again: it says:
cd src
patch -i ../../gnutarpatch.txt
cd ..

> /usr/src/RPM/BUILD/glibc-2.2.2/intl/dcigettext.c:245: multiple definition of `_nl_default_dirname'
> ../intl/libintl.a(dcgettext.o):/usr/local/src/texinfo-4.0/intl/dcgettext.c:238: first defined here
> /usr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol `_nl_default_dirname' changed from 26 to 18 in dcigettext.o

Looks like you forgot to pass --disable-nls to texinfo's ./configure

> 6. Mounting $LFS/proc file system:
>
> Says:
> mount proc $LFS/proc -t proc
>
> Should be:
> mount /proc $LFS/proc -t proc

the first occurance of 'proc' can be anything. If you want to enter
"none" or "virtualkernelfilesystem" it'll work too. The 'proc' will
appear in the /etc/mtab file:

root:/home/gerard# mount virtualkernelfilesystem $LFS/proc -t proc
root:/home/gerard# tail -1 /etc/mtab
virtualkernelfilesystem /mnt/lfs/proc proc rw 0 0

your /proc would show this:
/proc on /mnt/lfs/proc type proc (rw)

But /proc isn't a real device (like /dev/hda1 for example) because proc
is virtual. /proc would indicate you're using the /proc device (like the
ones in /dev) to mount the proc file system on $LFS/proc

If you wanted to do that, it would probably make more sense to use
/dev/proc - it's just as fake but would be nicer. Or just use 'proc'
(like we do with devpts and swap too)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org