link /lib/modules/<vers.>/build

David A. Bandel david at pananix.com
Mon Jul 2 06:17:19 PDT 2001

Richard Lightman wrote:

> Misquoted from Gerard Beekmans on 2001/07/ 1 at 11:19 +0000:
> >
> > The problem though, the kernel docs and config file. There's no official
> > place to store those. I could think of /usr/share/doc/linux (or
> > /usr/share/doc/kernel) for the Documentation/* stuff, but how about the
> > .config file? /usr/share/kernel-config perhaps?
> >
> How about:
> /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/config
>
> And while you are at it:
> /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/bzImage
> /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/System.map

no -- the above two need to be in /boot.  Doing otherwise breaks
tradition (and may break LSB/LHS compliance).  You can do /boot/$(uname
-r)/ if you really want, though I see little need for it.

> That last one needs "-k /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/System.map" where
> you start klogd.

see note above.  Use of System.map is optional.  Only a few packages
depend on it being loaded.  Yes, it is required for debugging, lsof,
top, and a few others, but for just running the system, it's optional.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
		-- Nemesis Racing Team motto
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org