feedback on possible ditching of chapter 9

Usurpator iqnullus at nt-admin.com
Sun Jul 1 12:16:43 PDT 2001

On Friday 29 June 2001 21:34, you wrote:
> > If my opinion matters here, I completely agree with this idea.
> Everyone's opinion counts

OK, here's mine opinion: the current chapter 9 was created because the 1.x
series contained an explanation about installing e-mail clients, newsreaders
and webbrowsers. Users who didn't want to use their LFS as network client
could easily skip that chapter.

Most of the software mentioned in chapter 9 was throwed out of the book in
the 2.x era until it has been reduced to netkit-base and nettools. Any LFS
builder uses this chapter since nearly every computer is connected to a
network and the networking code is heavily integrated with other part of the
OS and that means that the reasons of seperating networking programs from the
core LFS doesn't exist anymore.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org