building LFS: my settings

Matthias Benkmann haferfrost at web.de
Tue Jul 3 06:30:13 PDT 2001

On 3 Jul 2001, at 13:34, Spall, Michael wrote:

> thanks i kinda think that was the problem.  only thing is that the disk is
> a brand new (well ok coming up to its first birthday, but still fairly
> new!)
>
> And there is no problem with data on it, winblows seems to be working fine
> and I've run multiple scan disks (nortons good one as ocmpared to the M$
> crappy one)

I had exactly the same story here. I got a new hd for Christmas or bd and
I got missing sector errors. Windows was working fine, though. However it
turned out that was just coincidence. The Windows partition just happened
to be on the working part of the disk (and scandisk doesn't test the whole
disk). When I tried to format the Linux partition for Windows, Windows
found the errors, too.

> How am I gonna get the computing shop to accept that there is a hard disk
> fault when theres nothing wrong apart from error messages in linux! (like
> they would accept the word of the customer :-( )

Hard disks are often defective on delivery and stores know it. Extensive
testing would be too expensive for the manufacturer considering the small
profit margin. It happened to me 2 times already that a hd was DOA and the
store replaced the hds both times without giving me any trouble. Usually
there is a manufacturer warranty on the disks so that stores don't lose
anything. They just send the defective disk back and get a refund. So why
would they give customers trouble.

BTW, most hard disk manufacturers (there are not that many; I think
Seagate bought most of 'em) offer programs on the web to test the whole
disk thoroughly and read out the internal information modern hard disks
store. Seagate for instance offers a Windows program that creates a boot
disk which tests the hd. Try to get such a program for your hd. If it does
not find any defects, then it's a Linux problem. Are you using any special
drivers for UDMA?
BTW, have you made sure it's not a cable problem? Replace the cable with a
different one and use hdparm to run the disk in PIO1 mode (rather than
UDMA). If the problem disappears it is likely to be a cable problem.

MSB

----
Who is this General Failure,
and why is he reading my disk ?