autogenerating /etc/issue

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Tue Jul 3 08:50:07 PDT 2001

+-Sanjuro E-(sanjuro_e at yahoo.com)-[03.07.01 14:16]:
> I want to generate my issue file at start-up so it
> reflects the current kernel version, but I also would
> like to include that escape code that resets the
> kernel.

uhm - kernel-reset?!?

> How do I generate a esc character in a file?

You don't need an escape-code. kernel-version is \r

More of those can be found at your local getty manpage :)

(agetty:
ISSUE ESCAPES
       The  issue-file  (/etc/issue  or  the file set with the -f
       option) may contain certain escape codes  to  display  the
       system  name,  date and time etc. All escape codes consist
       of a backslash (\) immediately followed by one of the let­
       ters explained below.

       b      Insert the baudrate of the current line.

       d      Insert the current date.

       s      Insert  the  system name, the name of the operating
              system.

       l      Insert the name of the current tty line.

       m      Insert the architecture identifier of the  machine,
              eg. i486

       n      Insert  the  nodename of the machine, also known as
              the hostname.

       o      Insert the domainname of the machine.

       r      Insert the release number of the OS, eg. 1.1.9.

       t      Insert the current time.

       u      Insert the number of current users logged in.

       U      Insert the string "1 user" or "<n> users" where <n>
              is the number of current users logged in.

       v      Insert  the  version  of the OS, eg. the build-date
              etc.

     Ba-no.issue-lu
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org