feedback on possible ditching of chapter 9

Steve Hayashi sth at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 3 10:33:50 PDT 2001

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Usurpator wrote:

> On Friday 29 June 2001 21:34, you wrote:
> > > If my opinion matters here, I completely agree with this idea.
> > Everyone's opinion counts
>
> OK, here's mine opinion: the current chapter 9 was created because the 1.x
> series contained an explanation about installing e-mail clients, newsreaders
> and webbrowsers. Users who didn't want to use their LFS as network client
> could easily skip that chapter.
>
> Most of the software mentioned in chapter 9 was throwed out of the book in
> the 2.x era until it has been reduced to netkit-base and nettools. Any LFS
> builder uses this chapter since nearly every computer is connected to a
> network and the networking code is heavily integrated with other part of the
> OS and that means that the reasons of seperating networking programs from the
> core LFS doesn't exist anymore.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I think that a DHCP client should be included
in the networking part.  This is something I feel rather strongly about.
I'm tempted to say, "Raise your hand if you DON'T use dhcp"  The protocol
makes sense and it works even if you have a static IP.  Whether you use
DSL, CableModem, or even just plain routing, the odds are VERY good that
you have a Dynamic IP.  I'd argue that more consumer computers use DHCP
than have ethernet NICs in them (obviously, this doesn't really apply well
to medium to high end servers, which can and do often use multiple
ethernet NICs)

But of course, the decision is ultimately yours, Gerard, and I'll back you
up on whatever you choose.

-Steve

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org