mounting fs at shutdown?!?

Adrian Ho aho-lfs-discuss at 03s.net
Tue Jul 3 18:55:27 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 08:34:35AM -0400, Scot McPherson wrote:
> No that is the way it is supposed to be...The S (start) link is needed
> to start the process that will umount the filesystems. The K (kill)
> links are used to kill processes which are running (i.e. sysklogd)

No, Sanjuro's observation of mountfs is correct -- it mounts filesystems
on 'start' and umounts them on 'stop'.

What's really happening is that /etc/init.d/rc specifically calls runlevel
0 & 6 scripts with 'stop', whether you link it with a S* or K* name.
(I had a public disagreement with Gerard on this issue just a couple of
months back, but as he said, if you don't like it, change it yourself.)

- Adrian
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org