autogenerating /etc/issue

Sanjuro Europa sanjuro_e at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 03:05:54 PDT 2001

>uhm - kernel-reset?!?

Sorry, I mean terminal reset.

> > How do I generate a esc character in a file?

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Here is what I mean:

I have a script called /etc/rc.d/init.d/local it is called as last script
in all runlevels (S999local) and it contains (among other things) the
following lines:

echo "LFS Linux 3.0-pre4" > /etc/issue
echo "Kernel $(uname -r) on $a $(uname -m)" >> /etc/issue
echo "" >> /etc/issue

The idea is to dynamically generate a issue file at start-up so it reflects
the kernel version of the kernel I am booting.

Now, how do I insert a clear and reset terminal code (and which code do I
need) at the beginning of the file?

Sanjuro

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org