Book 3.0pre4 Chapter5 Fileutils

Hector Resto shadowmanresto at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 13:02:20 PDT 2001

I posted about untar'ing a bunch of files at once not
too long ago.  This is the script I was given:

for i in ./*.tar
do
tar -xvf $i
done

There might a bunch of other ways to re-write this
script, but I know this one works and I'll keep using
it over and over again.  The reason I got interested
in a script like was because I was able to issue a
'bunzip2 *.bz2' at the command prompt without a
problem.  I then tried the 'tar -xvf *.tar' command,
but it didn't go anywhere.  I started looking thru the
tar man page, but nothing about handling a bunch of
files with wildcards.  I think this is where the LSB
is going to come in handy for many of the Linux
newcomers.  Why didn't someone think of maybe making a
patch for tar to handle many tar'ed files like bunzip2
did?  Oh well, all I know is that it works!  I'm
happy!