tar command

Chris F.A. Johnson c.f.a.johnson at home.com
Wed Jul 4 15:18:47 PDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, atark at thepipeline.net wrote:

> Just a thought, but to make it more portable since "officially" tar can't
> unpack bzip2 files just use bzcat and zcat.  For example redhat uses the j
> opton instead of the y option for bx2 files.
>
> bzcat tarfile.tar.bz2 | tar xf -

On this list, I would assume that everyone has installed the patch, but
you make a good point. I should probably do the same thing for .tgz files,
since (some?all) non-GNU versions of tar do not support the "z" option.

	Chris F.A. Johnson	    bq933 at torfree.net
	c.f.a.johnson at home.com	    http://cfaj.freeshell.org
	cfaj at freeshell.org	    http://members.home.net/c.f.a.johnson

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org