OT: proftpd freezes

rayers at rdasys.net rayers at rdasys.net
Thu Jul 5 00:15:16 PDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, David A. Bandel wrote:
> rayers at rdasys.net wrote:
> >
> > Alright, it doesn't really freeze, but I have just completed a setup for a
> > webserver for my company.  I am trying to update some of the sites with a
> > program called weex.  For some reason, when it is having to deal with a
> > lot of files it just freezes (proftpd on the server).  Now, I can still
> > connect again with another xterm, but that one connection freezes.  I know
> > it is not my computer at home with weex because when I update the same
> > files on another ftp server, it all goes well.  I checked the MTU of the
> > connections and they are 1500.  I've checked the logs on my computer, and
> > the server, and nothing is showing up.  I put proftpd in debug 5 mode
> > printing to stdout, and nothing shows up.  It just says whatever the last
> > command it received was.  BTW, this happens when it is making directories
> > on the ftp, or just uploading files.
> >
> > Anybody ever heard of this before?
> >

> There are a number of possible issues here.  Let's start with the
> networking issues:
> Is your connection PPP?  If so, try lowering the MTU to 552.
> Are you using iptables w/ NAT?  if so, which kernel and iptables
> versions?  One thing that might work rather than the above with iptables
> is:
> modprobe ip_nat_ftp ip_conntrack_ftp
> iptables -t  filter -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS
> --clamp-mss-to-pmtu
>
> Hopefully one of the above will help.  If not, pls answer the questions
> and post again.
>
> Ciao,
>
> David A. Bandel
> --
> Focus on the dream, not the competition.
> 		-- Nemesis Racing Team motto

No, I am using a cable modem.  Also, I don't have any iptable nat'ing
going on.  The strange part is that I can post the exact same files to
another server, and that server works great.  It is my new LFS server that
I am havig a problem with.  The new server is on a wireless connection,
but I can download huge files from the Internet without a problem to it.
So, I am assuming that it isn't it's connection.

Thanks for the reply,
Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org