Pierre Barbier pbarbier at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 5 08:22:23 PDT 2001

Gonçalo Gomes wrote:
> i'm having problems, when i try to login with the right password,
> says "unable to change tty /dev/tty1 : no such file or directory"
> and wrong password, says login incorrect....
>
> does anyone faced this problem ? can someone help-me out?

I've encountered "unable to change tty /dev/tty1 : no such file or
directory" in a situation where I had left the root partition (where
/dev was) read-only after booting.
Login is trying to chown() and chmod() /dev/tty1 and fails. The message
'no such file...' is misleading: it is created by perror(), which is
only called after login tries to log the error with syslog. If syslog
fails as well,  perror doesn't report the original error (looks like a
minor bug in the shadow package to me).

- Pierre
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org