M4

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 6 06:04:39 PDT 2001

> Ah.  Thanks.  (off subject) That erm. hostname, shouldn't really be there, it
> can't be replied to, sendmail is firewalled and the domain A record isn't
> often updated and no MX exists, I hope this isn't going to get me into
> trouble.  Although the ISP copes well and says nothing- I just worked out the
> internal mail server stuff recently

No, it won't cause any problems. the Message-ID header is only used to
generate a unique id for your message to help threading along (amongst
other things). It usually includes the date and the output of 'hostname'
that's run on the machine sending the email. message-id's are not used
to reply to, send errors to, etc. For that other headers exists like
From: Reply-To: and more of those.

> Do I start again, or break the rules and use a pre-comiled binary?

Well in your case you may want to do that if we can't find a solution. I
replied earlier this morning to this message (in a different thread
though) so let's try to solve it the 'proper' way first. It may indicate
a deeper rooted problem that can cause other problems too, so it's
probably best to solve it.

Btw, have you tried the static M4 method the book mentions?

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org