Installing the kernel

Jean-Pierre Schwickerath lists at schwicky.net
Fri Jul 6 17:24:38 PDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 08:11:18 -0400, Gerard Beekmans said:

> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 04:27:15PM +0100, Mark Hymers wrote:
>  > I'm waiting for the 2.4.6 kernel to appear before finally doing my "proper"
>  > (i.e. use it day to day) LFS system.  I was wondering whether it matters
>  > whether I do the Kernel install in chapter 5 using 2.4.5 as it only appears
>  > to use the includes and asms from that particular install and I don't think
>  > they change in a minor fix - do ther?.
>
>  They shouldn't no. When you install a new kernel just make sure you
>  don't copy the new header files to /usr/include/linux|asm unless you're
>  going to redo Glibc too. Well, you can do it (i know most of us have
>  been doing it for years and years without problems) and it'll probably
>  not fail on you. But kernel boys are adament about it that we shouldn't
>  follow that practice.

Do I understand that right?
If I would do like the kernel people say, I should always have in
/usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm the headers files of the kernel glibc
was compiled. i.e. a kernel update should leave these files unchanged...
Damned! If I had known.

Jean-Pierre

--
Jean-Pierre Schwickerath - Powered by GNU/LinuX!
E-Mail: lists at schwicky.net - http://schwicky.net

Nothing's impossible... Everything is relative!

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org