building LFS: my settings

Ainsley Pereira marble at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 6 10:38:26 PDT 2001

In message <20010706080350.G238 at gwaihir.linuxfromscratch.org>
          Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wittered:

> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 08:55:04AM +0200, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> > I love that
> >
> >         sed -e 's,^,\\\(^,' -e 's, ,$\\\)\\\|\\\(^,g' -e 's,$,$\\\),'`
>
> Yeah isn't it great? I have no idea what it does, but according to
> /usr/bin/updatedb (where I got the prunepath code from) it works and so
> far it has done an excellent job at whatever it is doing

Posting an untested analysis, against my better judgement...
the first expression puts \(^ at the start of a line
the second puts $\)\|\(^ in place of every space
the last puts $\) on the end of a line
so, all in all it puts \(^ $\) around every word and separates each such
bracketed word with \|s.

Why one might wish to do this is another matter, but I've not looked at
the script it came from...

~A.

  / Ainsley 'Marble' Pereira / http://www.snowplains.org /
 / Don't drink and drive.