lilo problems

Michael Brömer mib at telebel.de
Sun Jul 8 07:54:50 PDT 2001

On Saturday, 7. July 2001 13:43, you wrote:
> hullo,
>         I have a hard disk which is hdc at the moment. LFS is on there
> (hdc1) and i'd like to use it in a different computer. I tried to install
> lilo to the mbr of hdc but when i stick it in the other computer i get LI
> 01 01 01 etc ... Is it even possible to install lilo on a harddisk which is
> hdc but will be hda ? I was probarbly doing it wrong but if anyone knows
> how ... plz lemme know.
>
> cheers,
>              Rich

You could use a boot disk. Check the disk, write your kernel to it
and use rdev to tell this kernel what is the root partition and to mount
the root partition read only at first.

> /sbin/badblocks -v /dev/fd0 1440
> dd if=<the_kernel> of=/dev/fd0 bs=18k
> rdev /dev/fd0 <the_partition_you_want>
> rdev -R /dev/fd0 1

When you now boot using this disk, it will use the partition you stated above
as root. When the system is running you just need to adjust /etc/lilo.conf
call /sbin/lilo and the system will be able to boot from harddisk.

Michael
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org