agetty and login

Richard A Downing richard.a.downing at iname.com
Tue Jul 10 08:41:33 PDT 2001

Gerard,
I'm running with -w right now, and I log in fine, and utmp is getting
written to by login, dunno how, but if I cat it it adds a record for every
logged in tty.  Am I missing something here, because I thought that Unix
programs couldn't break the rules?
The warning in 'man utmp' does NOT say remove write permission for non root
access, it says remove 'all write permissions'. Seems to work for me, so
that's how it's staying for now. If I eventually get a problem I'll report
back.
But thanks for the advice, and for LFS.
Richard.