agetty and login

Matthias Benkmann haferfrost at web.de
Tue Jul 10 15:40:26 PDT 2001

On 10 Jul 2001, at 16:41, Richard A Downing wrote:

> Gerard,
> I'm running with -w right now, and I log in fine, and utmp is getting
> written to by login, dunno how, but if I cat it it adds a record for every
> logged in tty.  Am I missing something here, because I thought that Unix
> programs couldn't break the rules?

Unless its immutable or a read-only fs, root can write to it. Root is a
notorious rule-breaker. And programs that modify utmp are usually started
by root oder suid root. At least text mode programs. I don't know about
xdm, xterm,...
Do you have proper logging for X sessions.

MSB

----
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org