Fileutils compilation problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 11 08:46:02 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 12:40:47PM -0300, Lesende, Emiliano - (Ext Arg) wrote:
> I have built an LFS system following the instructions on the CVS book. I
> used
> gcc-3.0 and glibc-2.2.3. All the software was optimized with -O3 and
> -march=i686,
> except mawk. It's running over a week whitout a single crash. No single
> program
> has segfaulted on me.
>
> IMHO, people who want to build his/her own linux system, wants total control
> or
> total freedom. I dont think we should take that away from them beacouse we
> think
> that it isn't very stable. May we add both compilation instructions?
> GCC-2.95.2 and
> GCC-3.0? Let the final user choose which one.

CVS isn't meant for "mass-usage". It's a scrap-board that will be molded
into a fully working stable book, etc. If you want something stable use
3.0-pre4. If you want to be brave and live on bleeding edge, use CVS at
own risc. But it won't contain instructions for both gcc's and glibc's
just to make it a bit more stable. that's not the idea behind using CVS.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org