Dev-fs benifits

Kristoffer Ekelund e7ke at etek.chalmers.se
Wed Jul 11 14:01:31 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:31:43PM -0600, Mike B wrote:

> Actually know how to fix that, just update the sound devices with the permissions you want if your running devfsd, it will track and load them.
>
> Mostly I refer to the idea that we have to run a daemon to handle the devices now, does this countbalance any gains. If we have to configure devfsd for each individual thing that isn't exactly 'standard', I can spend the same time doing the same thing in the standard dev entries.  Thus the question I pose.  Almost seems like it is one of those solutions that are as much trouble as the trouble they fix.....?

Well, I'm running devfs on my lfs box without running devfsd, the deamon
isn't really neccesary if all you need to do is change some of the perms
on the /dev entries, just put whatever chmod's, ln's etc. you toowards
the end of the bootscripts.

The only other thing I've run into are programs that aren't totally
devfs aware yet, but most of those can be told what device to use in
their config files or on the commandline so it isn't really much of a
hassle, not to me anyway. And if some program is really stubborn a
simple softlink has always done it for me.

Probably should mention that I've only tried devfs on "virgin" systems
that have had it built in from the start, so YMMV.

	Sincerely,
	Kristoffer

--
Read, think, spread! http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html