make check?

Adrian Ho aho-lfs-discuss at 03s.net
Wed Jul 11 20:32:07 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 10:16:21PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> should we add make check to packages that support it even though from
> time to time it's output may not mean anything useful?

I vote yes.  LFS, as the ultimate in user-customized distros, needs such
checks more than any other, to minimize the amount of head-scratching
/after/ it's built (by which time you may have to go back and rebuild half
your stuff just to get everything working right).

The occasions when "make check" output is meaningless or (worse)
misleading should be few and far between.  In general, failures on a
"make check", unless otherwise noted by the author, are usually a result
of system peculiarities (often path-related), which could very well
affect normal operations.

And if the /tests/ are found to be in error, that's a bug like any other,
for which the package developers should be notified.

- Adrian
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org