Fileutils compilation problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 11 21:05:10 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 03:47:44AM +0100, Leonardo Valeri Manera wrote:
> I was thinking of installing gcc 3.0 for c only, and gcc 2.95.3 for c++
> only on my system...is that doable? then one stes two slighly different
> flags for c and c++, and off you go.

yes that's doable. When installing gcc-3.0 add --enable-languages=c to
./configure and when installing gcc-2.95.3 add --enable-languages=c++ to
./configure

This will build only c from gcc-3 and c++ from 2.95.3 and shouldn't be
in eachothers way.

> > Which is appreciated, but right now fixing packages doesn't do a whole
> > lot of good: gcc-3 is a very broken compiler so it's not advisable to
> > use it right now, even to give something back.
>
> come on now. it's not that bad if you stick to c, and i *won't* give up
> athlon-optimized code ;)

fine, but a not properly working c++ is not what I call a viable option
in the long run.

> still. gcc 3.0 and i've had no c problems that were actually related to
> the compiler. :)

I've seen some problems compiling things like XFree86,
netkit-<something>, oidentd and a few other packages. But not as much as
the c++ problems.

It's a personal opinion mostly. I need a good working c++ compiler on my
system, else there won't be future lfs-book releases (the xml parser is
c++ only. No viable c alternatives) for one thing.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org