Dev-fs benifits

Florin Boariu florin at bnv-bamberg.de
Thu Jul 12 03:08:33 PDT 2001

another .02$:

it looks clean. do ls /dev (classic) and do ls /dev (devfs) and you'll
know what I mean.

i'm running devfs on my lfs-ppc. at first I had some obscure problems
since the x server tried to load /dev/fb0, which did not exist, and the x
server did not write an appropriate error message. it simply died.

but i pached the server, aswell as other applications (mostly
sound-related) and it works ok.

as for soft links: i'm not a big friend of them in /dev -- i like devfs
mostly because it's cleanly structured, so creating softlinks to make it
look like the classic /dev tree is pointless to me, i even turned off the
compatibility option of devfsd because of this reason. this does indeed
require some patching work, but that's a single effort (which is rather
small), on installation, and then it works forever...

regards,
florin.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org