Dev-fs benifits

Adrian Ho aho-lfs-discuss at 03s.net
Thu Jul 12 23:03:15 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:53:56PM -0600, Mike Bedwell wrote:
> These are the issues I question.  I can easily mknod every device I need for
> my system, keeps it clean.  Although I love to have it easy and automatic, my
> questions lie around the performance issue.  Which is better?  To have devfs
> spending time to create devices on the fly, or to have them already there and
> searched for? .....

Have you read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README?
There's a boatload of info in there that should help you make a decision
that's right for you, including stuff you may not even have considered.

In general, performance isn't an issue unless you have a resource-starved
embedded system.  It's more a matter of whether you need anything that
devfs has to offer, and/or whether you want to play with it.

- Adrian
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org