upgrading glibc

Scot Mc Pherson behomet at home.com
Fri Jul 13 21:19:43 PDT 2001

When you upgrade your base library...that means glibc in the case of linux
users, you need to recompile any libraries and binaries built around the old
one. In many cases that can mean re-lfsing.

Once you have a base library that works, unless you really need to upgrade
you shouldn't. It a lot of work.

An alternative is to make sure you compile everything statically. This way
if you do upgrade your libc you don't have to worry about "crashing" your
machine. The drawback to this is that your files will be much larger than
their shared counterparts. The advantage is that you system will work just
as it did before except any new or re-compiles will be compiled against the
newer libc.

Scot Mc Pherson
~Linux is a journey, not a guided tour~