mutt & mailinglists

Adrian Ho aho-lfs-discuss at 03s.net
Sat Jul 14 07:30:09 PDT 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 03:28:28PM +0200, Andre Wyrwa wrote:
> Hmm...thx, but I think I don't like that. Mutt seems to have excelent
> filtering functionality, problem is that for me it works for outgoing
> mail only, but should - as mentioned in the docs for ingoing, too.

Really?  I've gone through the entire manual, and the only automatic
message movement stuff I've seen is mbox-hook, which only moves all read
messages from one mailbox to another.

As for me, I use qmail's extension-addressing to subscribe to each mailing
list under a unique username, so my incoming mail is auto-sorted without
the overhead of procmail.

> (Your solution means having another system-maildir AND another
> mutt-maildir.)

No, you still have only one main spool for unsorted mail, and as many
mboxes as you want for the sorted stuff.

> What's the benefit of maildir?

<http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html> has a terse explanation.  Expanding
on it:

No need for locks = more reliable operation, even across NFS, and
esp. when multiple programs need to access the same mbox at the same time
(eg. procmail delivering new mail to the mbox you're expunging deleted
messages from).

One file per message = much easier per-message processing (eg. using
external tools to grep through old mail).

- Adrian
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org