Spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7

Kevin Krumwiede krum at oco.net
Sat Jul 14 13:32:59 PDT 2001

Hmm, I'm using Generic PCI bus-master DMA support, too...

>From the kernel docs:

Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA
  If your PCI system uses IDE drive(s) (as opposed to SCSI, say) and
  is capable of bus-master DMA operation (most Pentium PCI systems),
  you will want to say Y here to reduce CPU overhead. You can then use
  the "hdparm" utility to enable DMA for drives for which it was not
  enabled automatically. By default, DMA is not enabled automatically
  for these drives, but you can change that by saying Y to the
  following question "Use DMA by default when available". You can get
  the latest version of the hdparm utility via anonymous FTP from
  ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/hardware/.

  Read the comments at the beginning of drivers/block/idedma.c and the
  file Documentation/ide.txt for more information.

  It is safe to say Y to this question.

I don't remember how I answered that second question.  I have not used
hdparm to enable DMA.  Maybe this has something to do with it.

Krum