nslookup

David A. Bandel david at pananix.com
Sat Jul 14 15:07:09 PDT 2001

Scot Mc Pherson wrote:

> Sure...Have you looked in your daemon.log ?? You might find that a lot of
> your db statements aren't working. The structure of the files in the
> strictest sense of the word, didn't change, but BIND 8 was more forgiving
> and certain mistakes and oversights didn't effect named, but in 9 they must
> be correct. for example TLLs

yes, I checked them.  I ran dig on them and all records showed up.  I
usually use TTLs, so if that's what it didn't like ...

Now under bind 8 TTLs on individual records were optional, but if you
use dig to check your files, you'll see it always returns the TTLs.  And
since I put the initial records on a "test" system before adding them
with my myriad domains, use dig, then use the resulting dig file, I
guess it helps.  With over 40 domains on my system, I can't afford to
have DNS decide not to run, even for a few minutes on the master, so my
laptop serves as my testing ground, and dig on the master system is my
friend.

OK, so I cheat, but I have a very good uptime record on my services.
BTW, I have similar methods I use on other services so as not to trash
them inadvertently.  sendmail is another heavily tested app.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
		-- Nemesis Racing Team motto
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org