GCC huge

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Sun Jul 15 08:42:59 PDT 2001

Yo,

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 08:45:01AM -0700, SirKnight wrote:
> I'm using RedHat 7.1 and my $LFS mounted on a 1GB partition.  Before I
> compiled GCC I think there was around 70 mb on the drive from compiling the
> other stuff.  I erased a lot of the directories of the sources I hadn't got
> to yet and some other stuff on the drive and got it to around 200mb free.

750MB if plenty of space, as long as you don't waste it, eg don't have
extra source treee's unpacked you aren't working with, delete the source
tree's when your done with them, etc.. only source tree you should keep
around would be /usr/src/linux, everything else you can just rm -rf.

GCC needs about ~350-400MB (gcc-x.xx.x.x // gcc-build) for a full build,
but from the sounds of it, you are keeping around the old source trees,
delete the ones your done with // don't need at the moment, will save
you quite a bit more room.

btw, when all is said and done, and your build is finished and you start
strip'ing your bins/libs (just be carefull) you can bring the system
down to less then 200MB, easy.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org