GCC huge

Dave Ayers fogey at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 15 08:35:27 PDT 2001

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001 08:45:01 -0700
"SirKnight" <sirknight at ntur.net> wrote:

> Well, last night I tried the whole LFS thing again.  The book says that
> 750mB is plenty of space for everything, and I happened to have an extra
1GB
> partition that I dedicated to LFS.  I bunzip2'ed the archives and then
> untarred them, then I removed the tar and the bz2 files.  Problem is
when I
> try to compile GCC it fills up the hard drive.  I ran into this last
time I
> tried out LFS.  How much space do I REALLY need.  I'm guessing the 750mB
> number is later when the binaries aren't statically linked anymore.
Another
> annoying thing is the make doesn't crash when hard drive space runs out,
for
> some reason it just keeps going.

I just completed 3.0 pre4 book and it only took 455 MB of disk space, so
the recommended 750MB would seem sufficient. In my case, I have saved the
tarballs, but removed the directories created by package expansion after
the compile and install. My installation was done from within a Caldera
eDesktop 2.4 environment, but it shouldn't make any difference what you
are running.

Dave Ayers
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org