two kernel questions

Guillermo Pereyra Irujo gpirujo at mdq.com
Sun Jul 15 16:39:17 PDT 2001

> Second, due to some gcc-3.0 issues I was forced to buildd my initial
> kernel using my base system's gcc-2.95.3.  I have since rebuilt my
> kernel while booted into the lfs system using gcc-3.0; however, when I
> run depmod it complains about not being able to open modules.dep and
> tells me it's looking for it in /lib/modules/2.2.19-1k/ which is my
> base systems location.  Anyone know where depmod stores info on where
> it expects things to be?

I think depmod uses /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ as the modules dir. Perhaps
you are using your base system's uname. If this is right, you can look for
an option to give depmod the right path, make a soft link from 2.2.19-1k
to 2.4.7-pre6 inside /lib/modules, or replace temporarily your uname with
a fake uname script like this:

#!/bin/sh
uname $* | sed s/2.2.19-1k/2.4.7-pre6/g

--