embedded lfs

Adrian Ho aho-lfs-discuss at 03s.net
Sun Jul 15 18:26:38 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 01:11:55PM -0700, SirKnight wrote:
> I've heard everyone say it's easy to get LFS down to under 200 MB but I was
> wondering how small I could really make it.

You answered your own question: a single floppy.  8-)

Seriously though, a lot depends on what you want to include in the distro.
A good general-purpose distro under 50MB is tricky, and I'm sure you
noticed that most (all?) the successful ones way under that limit are
very much targeted towards specific application niches.

The smallest general-purpose distro I've seen that's actually useful on
a day-to-day basis resides in the Agenda VR3.  16MB flash buys you a lot
of stuff, including X (probably tinyX), a window manager (a hacked flwm,
I think) + the usual PDA stuff, and I think there's even space left over
for your own apps.

- Adrian
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org