Athlon

Nicolas Nieswandt webmaster at electro-nic.de
Mon Jul 16 03:47:07 PDT 2001

> Hi!
>
> I have decided to try to install a LFS-system on my Athlon 900. Now I
wonder if
> there is any Athlon-How-to  or  other document about how to get optimized
code
> for the Athlon?
>
> I have noticed that the system gets identified as a
i686-pc-linux-gnu -system.
> Does this mean that it doesn't know it's a Athlon? Somewhere I've seen
that it
> should say k7-athlon-linux-gnu instead. I might be wrong, though. uname
gives me
> a "i686 - unknown".

On this list was once a hint to change the uname output to something like
k7-athlon-linux-gnu-lfs. Sorry, I don't know when and where. (about 9-12
month)

> I have realized that I will need the gcc-3.0 to be able to optimize for
Athlon
> but that I should install glibc with 2.95.x first. Anything else I need to
know?
> www.athlonlinux.org seems to be down since quite some time, otherwise I
guess I
> could find some info there.

I don't know if the "athlon" option in gcc-3.0 is just a link to "i686" or
not.

But if you want to compile with 2.95.x there is a patch from the pentium
compiler
group at http://www.goof.com/pcg/. They did some optimations for newer
Pentium and
Athlon/K6-2/K6-3 which worked just fine.

All other info's you might need are in the optimization2-hint in LFS-hint
section.

Good compile,
Nico

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org