Static Bash compilation problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 16 06:57:37 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 03:29:02PM +0100, Mark Hymers wrote:
> I was talking to Dean on #lfs this afternoon and he had the old problem
> of not having libcurses.a linked to libncurses.a.  He was using
> 3.0-pre4 and compiling bash-2.05.  ISTR a notice in the past about this
> in the book.  What was the reason for removing it and should it be
> put back?

The reason for it to be removed is that bash-2.05 doesn't care (or i
should say: it not supposed to care) about that link anymore. If you
specify --with-curses, bash's configure will look for both libcuses.a
and libncurses.a. Most distro's don't seem to have libcurses.a, but
there's libncurses.a. If bash still fails, then it is very likely that
the ncurses-dev package isn't installed on that distribution and
creation that symlink won't make much of a difference because it will
point to a non-existing file.

Now, if ncurses-dev is installed, and bash can only be told to work
after having created the symlink I'd like to see the output from
configure to see what's happening. Perhaps bash didn't find libcurses.a,
then tried to find termcap, then libncurses and if termcap was found,
but wasn't properly installed, then that could be cause for problems
too.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org