suid-bit

Guillermo Pereyra Irujo gpirujo at mdq.com
Mon Jul 16 08:31:19 PDT 2001

> > > Hell, I want to set up a script that dials pppd so that I don't
> > > need to log in as root to get on the net. There must be a way... I
> > > don't understand, 'cause Guido Socher from Linux Focus wrote that
> > > perl script to set up a connection and it needs to be chowned 6755
> > > and owned by root. This thing used to work...

> > Does chmoding 4755 /usr/sbin/pppd what you need?

> To get connected, sure, but if I want to disconnect, I used to do
> killall -TERM pppd and there it tells me that I'm not owner, bla bla

I just have:

[root][~] cat /etc/ppp/options
/dev/cua/1
115200
modem
crtscts
lock
mru 552
mtu 552
idle 480
asyncmap 0
defaultroute
noipdefault
updetach
user gpirujo
connect "chat -v TIMEOUT 50 ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' '' ATZ OK
'ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0 M0' OK ATDTnumber CONNECT"

[root][~] cat /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
gpirujo * mypassword

root][~] ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root       167576 Jun 24 21:24 /usr/sbin/pppd*

...and it works great. You don't need a script if you don't need anything
else before connecting. Just use pppd to connect and killall pppd to
disconnect.

--
Guillermo Pereyra Irujo
Mar del Plata, Argentina