Athlon

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon Jul 16 15:59:42 PDT 2001

Scot Mc Pherson wrote:

>1) if uname gives "i686 - unknown" then something is broken on your
>system and you need to resolve that before you worry about optimizing
>code for the machine. A place to begin looking might be sh-utils.

The unknown is for 'processor', but uname returns i686 (or whatever cpu
you are using).  On my system:

[root at lfs3 ~]# uname -p
unknown
[root at lfs3 ~]# uname -m
i686

I looked at the source and the -p option seems to be only for the ia64
processor.  Nothing us broken in the system if its not a ia64.  The
"unknown" result is hardcoded for most systems.

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org