Static Bash compilation problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 17 05:38:31 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 01:57:30AM -0700, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Gerard, et al:
>
> One thing I have noticed in the static compile of Bash, in my experience, is that I ALWAYS have to not use --enable-curses for the static compile.  This seems to be something related to Slackware Linux (which is the distro I always use to build with).  So, what I usually do is build the static bash without curses, then enable curses for the dynamic.
>
> Now that I think about it...I wonder if Slackware simply doesn't compile in a libncurses.a, and only does the .so....good thing to check...

That's often the case. Normally libncurses.so is available as it's a
shared library that is needed by other programs. But .a libraries are
the static ones that are never needed unless you compile new programs.
Therefore those files are often placed in a package called ncurses-dev
or something to that effect and it's up to you to install that one.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org