It's alive! Only no eth0 8-(

Adrian Ho aho-lfs-discuss at 03s.net
Tue Jul 17 06:08:55 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:12:40AM -0400, Paul Campbell wrote:
> I'd just spent the night compiling the kernel three times, only to discover
> the following day, and after the message was sent that I needed to re-run
> lilo for it to see the changes to the kernel.  I still not sure why, possibly
> it was still using the image on the host /boot directory.

Well, it was still using the old kernel image map, for sure.  You need to
run lilo to update the map, so that the bootloader knows which sectors
contain your new kernel image.

> On that point am I right in saying there can only be one valid /boot
> directory as far as lilo is concerned?

There's nothing special about /boot; you can scatter each file mentioned
in lilo.conf anywhere in your local directory hierarchy, constrained only
by lilo's ability to map their sector addresses.

- Adrian
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org