It's alive! Only no eth0 8-(

Paul Campbell paul at cmm.uklinux.net
Tue Jul 17 08:12:40 PDT 2001

On Tuesday 17 July 2001 04:10, you wrote:
> > > You might want to try compiling the ne2k driver directly into the
> > > kernel.
> >
> > You offend me.

> What are you offended about?  It was a valid suggestion.  Sometimes
> drivers for whatever reason work better directly in the kernel than as
> modules.

I was only being half serious,  was I likely to just not bother compiling in
something as obvious as a network card driver?  It was the first thing I
looked for.  I thought there was something I had to do to get it to see the
card at boot.

I'd just spent the night compiling the kernel three times, only to discover
the following day, and after the message was sent that I needed to re-run
lilo for it to see the changes to the kernel.  I still not sure why, possibly
it was still using the image on the host /boot directory.

On that point am I right in saying there can only be one valid /boot
directory as far as lilo is concerned?

--
Paul Campbell
http://www.cmm.uklinux.net/