automated COL and WCOL settings

Andre Wyrwa a.wyrwa at web.de
Tue Jul 17 10:09:17 PDT 2001

On Tue, 17. Jul 2001 um 11:57:54AM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > Moving cut would violate the FHS. People who are abiding to the FHS
> > won't be
> > able to use these boot scripts which isn't an option.
>
> I stand corrected. The FHS doens't forbid programs in /bin when they're
> used by scripts.
>
> Let's still discuss this matter though, Opinions?

You could solve that issue if you do it the SuSE-way, I just didn't,
'cause I did not fully understand how it works the way they do it and I
don't like doing things I don't understand. But maybe you can explain it
to me...here it is:

set -- $(stty size < $CONSOLE)
LINES=$1
COLUMNS=$2     (in our case COL=$2)

They export the variables then.
With exporting it didn't work for me, I vagually remember, don't know if
it does without.
The other issue with this is that set -- ... does something, namely the
"positional parameters" (I didn't read through bash manpage enough to
understand what this means).

So just decide what you consider better.

André.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org