automated COL and WCOL settings

Andre Wyrwa a.wyrwa at web.de
Tue Jul 17 14:19:31 PDT 2001

On Tue, 17. Jul 2001 um 11:05:41PM +0100, Mark Hymers wrote:
> That wouldn't work anyways.  If we're running from the console command
> line, we WANT to use the clever COL script as it works.  It's just in
> bloody xterms and that we don't want to use it.  As I said before I
> don't think people should be running init.d scripts from within X really
> anyways.  (Not that often anyhow).

Well - but then there are still ways to do it.
You could first check if /usr is mounted. If it isn't -> we are at
boottime.
Then, if it is, you could use "/usr/bin/tput longname" to figure out which
terminal we are on, or better "/usr/bin/tty", which will simply deliver the
device.
Or what about $TERM ?

> As to the point in your other mail, I prefer the cut method.  I really
> (personally) have no objections to moving cut to /bin as it doesn't
> violate the FHS.

I thought about what "positional parameters" are, again, and I think it
is nothing else than those $0 $1 $2 etc. . So the SuSE-way is quite
elegant. Anyway, I like cut and so like both of them. ;-)

André.
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org