automated COL and WCOL settings

Mark Hymers mark-lfs at hymers.org.uk
Tue Jul 17 15:45:27 PDT 2001

On Tue, 17, Jul, 2001 at 11:19:31PM +0200, Andre Wyrwa wrote:
> Well - but then there are still ways to do it.
> You could first check if /usr is mounted. If it isn't -> we are at
> boottime.
> Then, if it is, you could use "/usr/bin/tput longname" to figure out which
> terminal we are on, or better "/usr/bin/tty", which will simply deliver the
> device.
> Or what about $TERM ?
I'm not sure.  The /usr mounting thing wouldn't work as some people have
it on the same partition as / and so we'd bugger it :-)
Would you be willing to look at what you suggest though and if you find
a more elegant method then submit it to bugzilla?
$TERM seems unreliable but if you can get it to work then great!

> I thought about what "positional parameters" are, again, and I think it
> is nothing else than those $0 $1 $2 etc. . So the SuSE-way is quite
> elegant. Anyway, I like cut and so like both of them. ;-)
Right.  Cut it is then - it's simpler AFAIAC :-)
(Unless we get other objections of course)

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org